Tuesday, March 04, 2008

First Bible Study

This morning was the first day of the Bible Study that I, with fear and trembling, will be leading at our church. Leading a study written by a Southern Baptist back in the 60's for a group of Northern Presbyterian women in the year 2008 means there will be some translation of terms involved, but it will be worth it. Our aim is to deepen and enrich our prayer lives; and who doesn't need that?

Unfortunately, in His Providence, God saw fit to have only two of the ten women come this morning, the rest being down with illness or sidetracked by other commitments. Feeling awkward speaking to women in a group until I know them better, I think the email that I sent to our absentees was probably a better explanation of what to expect from the weeks ahead than what I stuttered through this morning! I am more comfortable at my keyboard than looking into the eyes of people I don't know well- yet- and explaining things. In fact, I think that I may be the youngest person at the study,... gulp. (Did I mention fear and trembling?)

Yet, it is ultimately not I who teach this study, but the Holy Spirit who will illumine the texts and work in our hearts as we continue in the study of the Word.

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of the darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. -2 Corinthians 4:6

No comments: