Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Today Bekah had another check-up with her Orthopedic doctor. We had x-rays taken last week so he could see how her scoliosis is straightening up. At her last check in August he was very positive about the progress that had been made. Her back had straightened by about 3 degrees. This time, however, her back is worse than when we began. She now has a 30 degree curve, (last August it was 21). Dr Cook's office has made us an appointment with a Pediatric Orthopedic Doctor in Philadelphia to get another opinion. Her nerve functions and internal organs remain unaffected by her spinal curve, so I don't think they'll recommend surgical correction.

While this is not good news, we are not terribly shaken by it. After watching the images of lives and homes demolished by tornadoes on the News this morning, we just can't place this in the same category of suffering. However, we also cannot dismiss this circumstance as irrelevant in the "grand scheme of things". This is part and parcel of God's plan for Rebekah as well as the rest of the family. I came across a quote while preparing for tomorrow's Bible study that is pertinent not only for this situation, but for every discomfort and downright pain that we encounter...

"He knows me. I am graven on the palms of his hands. I am never out of his mind. All my knowledge of Him depends on His sustained initiative in knowing me. I know Him, because He first knew me, and continues to know me. He knows me as a friend, one who loves me; and there is no moment when His eye is off me, or His attention distracted from me, and no moment therefore, when His care falters." Dr. J. I. Packer.
Rebekah is, as are all of God's children in the tornado ravaged South, exactly where God wants her, and His care hasn't faltered.This is the path marked out for her which she is to walk, but not alone. We are with her in part, but God is by her side every step of the way.

2 comments:

avalarue said...

We'll keep her in our prayers too.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about this recent turn.....tell Bekah we will pray for the wisdom of the docs to do what is right.
We were luckily spared by the tornados, fortunately for us they we north and west of B'ham. Our pastor has 2 kids at Union University, they are okay and home for now. Scary, being a parent!
Sue