Thursday, February 07, 2008

Bombshell

I promised that this would not be a forum for political opinions, but I am a bit numbed by the announcement today by Mitt Romney that he is dropping out of the race for the Republican Presidential Nomination. I checked the website for Fox News to be sure that I had heard it correctly, and sure enough, it's true. I have been a Huckabee supporter, but was prepared to back Mitt if it came to that; McCain I just don't trust.


I found the text of Romney's speech on the Fox News website, and was moved to tears at the nobility of what I read. After going clearly through the issues our country faces, and the implications for each if Hillary or Obama were to occupy the White House, Mitt closed with this:


I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Usama bin Laden, and on eliminating Al Qaeda and terror. If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.

This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters… many of you right here in this room… have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming President. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, I feel I must now stand aside, for our party and for our country.

I will continue to stand for conservative principles; I will fight alongside you for all the things we believe in. And one of those things is that we cannot allow the next President of the United States to retreat in the face evil extremism!!

It is the common task of each generation-and the burden of liberty-to preserve this country, expand its freedoms and renew its spirit so that its noble past is prologue to its glorious future.

To this task… accepting this burden… we are all dedicated, and I firmly believe, by the providence of the Almighty, that we will succeed beyond our fondest hope. America must remain, as it has always been, the hope of the earth.

Thank you, and God bless America.



Wow. I hope our Nation listened.

Click here to read the entire speech. Worth the time!


No comments: