Thursday, February 18, 2010

April 10, 2010

Our entry forms for the 5K race in Pottstown, April 10th, are in the mail. Jim, Erin, our neighbor Erin B., and I are entering as a team. I am in my 5th week of the Couch 2 5K training program and am still very excited. Considering that there is still a whole lot of snow on the ground, running has been rather chilly lately. I am learning that it doesn't take long to warm up, and before I'm done I'm even removing my gloves and resenting my hat! (The hat needs to stay on- it keeps my cheap headphones in place.)

Yesterday as I was running the W5D2, which is two 8 minute runs with a three minute recovery walk in between, I was 2 1/2 minutes from the end of the second run when I met two walkers coming toward me. My thoughts of falling down on the road dead were replaced by the desire to keep it up at least until I'd passed them. Then, right at the same moment, my dear friend Heidi and I recognized each other and she immediately went into cheerleader mode! "Go, go, go! You are awesome!" yelled the master of encouragement as I raised my hands with V for victory and grinned from ear to ear.

I need no more evidence that this running thing is mostly psychological. I went from "ready to die" to "totally energized" in a matter of moments with no physical aid at all. I was able to finish well, thanks to my friend's energetic support.

Now if she'll only show up tomorrow when I'm supposed to have a 20 minute run without any breaks...

1 comment:

Karen said...

I love this post. I know what you mean about running being psychological.
At our last race in the last mile I picked out two people to beat. One person we couldn't catch. The other we did beat easiily. She did catch up to us twice.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your 20 minute run.
Does Nathaniel know you are running? I bet he is proud of you.