Saturday, February 16, 2013

Partial Retraction

As I was washing up in the kitchen this evening, thinking over the events of the day, my mind wandered again to my previous post, Because You Are Different.  In a flash I realized that I had committed a grave error in the opening remarks to the post.  I wrote:

The letter which I labored over and revised many times became something which I not only wish someone had told me when I was 13-years old, but something which I may need to remind myself even still.

Can you spot the error?  It leaps off the screen at me now.  It's positively glaring...

I was told when I was 13-years old which was the right path and to walk in it.  That I didn't listen was my own brazenly sinful choice.  There were no "magic words" which, rightly said, would have altered the path ahead of me, through dark and treacherous valleys, through which my Lord had ordained I must walk before called to gratefully return to His embrace.

As there were no "magic words" then, neither can I write any "magic words" now.  Though I sit at the computer and write, and re-write, for days, nothing that I compose will ever change a human heart.  That is left to God alone.  How he chooses to use or not use what I write is not mine to declare.  Any wisdom or merit in what I've written is only there by the grace, mercy, and love of God, given to me to share with others.

What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?  (1 Corinthians 4:7)

No comments: