Friday, July 01, 2011

Now That I've Had Time To Think...

I'm not very good with spontaneous conversations, especially when there's only a moment to reply.  This morning, near the beginning of my run, I passed a neighbor who faithfully walks her dogs every day and has seen me running since I began the Couch 2 5K program a year and a half ago.  As I approached her on the road this morning I called out a greeting, to which she replied, "You're looking *fabulous!"  (*she might have said "marvelous", or "great"- I was surprised, so my memory isn't reliable on this point.)

I simply said, "Thanks!  Isn't this weather lovely?!"
Good grief- is that all I could have said?

Frankly, I couldn't think of anything else on the spur of the moment, and as I continued on my way I started running through alternate possible responses.

"I hope a Cardiologist would agree with you!"

"How long has it been since you've had your eyes checked?"

"Check back in 30 minutes- you'll change your tune!"

"There are hills in my future- pray for me!"

"Tell that to my bathroom scale!"

Or, perhaps, on a more serious note:

"You have no idea how I needed to hear that!"

"You're so encouraging!"

"How about joining me some morning- I'd love your company!"

Really though, now that I think about it, perhaps the best response sometimes is simply to say,

"Thanks!"

No comments: